“I rather stand on the shoulders of giants and not in their shadows for I can then see further.”
I have embraced this quote by the Isaac Newton, English mathematician, astronomer, and physicist, as a significant signpost on my path of self-empowerment and life mastery. My experiences have given me the opportunity to deal with big losses, from the death of loved ones to the failure of businesses and plans. These events have taught me that I cannot do it on my own. I have learned that asking for help is brave and learning from other giants is wise.
With every curve ball that life threw at me, I experienced the typical feelings of powerlessness, overwhelm, pain, and loss. As an experienced psychologist and human behaviour specialist, the perception was that I should be able to handle this by myself. However, I turned to people for help.
From standing on the shoulders of many giants, I became aware of the following:
- There is so much to learn about human beings and our relationships and I can never know enough.
- A mentor/coach is a gift I give myself. It is an investment in me.
- Having a mentor expanded my spheres of awareness and thereby my spheres of influence.
- Through my mentors, I learned to think bigger, believe in myself more and empower myself.
- I learned that my lack of knowledge or insight is one of the obstacles to live the life I truly want to live.
- My mentors taught me to be certain that I know what I want. If I don’t know what I want, I live aimlessly.
- My mentors exposed me to the art of goal setting and prioritising.
- Through mentoring I am continuously empowering myself in all areas of live, from financial, career, family, friends, physical, mental to spiritual. An empowered person knows how to do it and takes steps to achieve their heart’s desires.
- My mentors give me the tools to create the life I want, the relationships I desire and the service I love to give.
- Through mentoring I discovered that nothing is impossible, no loss or pain is insurmountable and challenges make me grow.
Looking back, I see the steppingstones that my mentors and coaches paved for me. I see their wisdom guiding me, irrespective whether I stood on their shoulders by personal interaction or reading about their knowledge. I know I am blessed because my many mentors bestowed on me wisdom, insights, guidance, strength, and big thinking. I know for sure that I will continue my journey with my chosen mentors because their value is priceless.
To my multiple mentors, I am truly grateful and for all the future ones, I cannot wait to stand on your shoulders.